Penn State Penalties

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kaybek, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Kaybek

Kaybek -Mostly Retired -

Main IGN:
    Kaybek
    Alt IGN::
    Dranak
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Kaybek#1468
    < Article >

I was on board with almost everything that got levied on to Penn State. That said, I'm surprised they're taking Joe Paterno's wins from 1998 through 2011. I was fine with removing the statue but having legitimate wins taken away, especially since they were not cheating on the football field, seems a bit much. Joe's image in history will forever be tarnished even without removing him as the "winningest" coach in college football history. Now all the players from those teams will forever be listed as having zero wins too. Seems a bit much to me.

What do you think?
  2. Eltherion

Eltherion Guest

i think the wins should have been taken away.. Scandusky was coaching during many of the wins .. and since he was a defensive coach its a big part of it .. they have taken wins away for much much less..

In the end the penalities were worse than a 1 or 2 year death sentence..

the school and team imho should lose the wins because it showed during that time esp Joe that football was more important than anything else..

a football coach should not have that much power..

and i am a huge fan of the best coaches ever bobby dodd and joe heisman
  3. Jason "JC"

Jason "JC" Member

Main IGN:
    JcSkys
    JcDub
    Taking the wins away doesn't hurt the coach as much as it hurts the players. The players are the ones that ultimately won the games. Not fair to them.
  4. Kaybek

Kaybek -Mostly Retired -

Main IGN:
    Kaybek
    Dranak
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Kaybek#1468
    Personally, I'd have liked to see stronger sanctions against Penn State as it seems much of the institution was involved with covering this up in one form or another. I'd have been fine with them closing down the football program all together as well as having a much higher fine ($60m for 14 yrs of covering this up??). I do agree Joe Paterno, as well as everyone else associated with this, deserve massive stains on his record and reputations but covering this up didn't give the Penn State teams any advantage in the games they played and they certainly weren't cheating or breaking any rules when they played the games. Taking the wins away achieves nothing and hurts far more people that had nothing to do with anything wrong.
  5. Eltherion

Eltherion Guest

Taking the wins away is common though. Georgia tech had a acc championship taken away because of 300 dollars of clothes given to a player by his cousin who worked for a sports attorney

In the case here it was covered up so joe wouldn't lose a coach that helped him get the wins.

This is more about what they can take away. The same thing happens if one player takes money from a booster. 80 other players are hurt. Take USC who had a post season ban because of the player who won the heisman getting paid. He wasn't at the school anymore.
  6. Bitter

Bitter Silent Spring

Main IGN:
    Bitter
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Bitter#1131
    Penn state alumn here. Just to preface this I think Sandusky is piece of excrement, and those that covered this up or turned a blind eye are just as guilty. As far as the punishment handed out the wins don't really matter imo. Paterno will just have an asterix by his win total. Everyone will still know he had the most wins. Just like everyone still knows Reggie bush won the heisman. The killer is the loss of 20 scholarships. The football program will be crippled by this for well more than the four years it runs. I honestly don't know if they can recover from that. SMU is still a joke and they only lost I think 5 scholarships for 2 or 3 years. The NCAA accomplished their goal. Penn state will still have a football program but it will not be ├╝ber alles in Happy Valley anymore.