Guidelines for posting to FTP site

Discussion in 'Media Planning / Discussion' started by Kaybek, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Kaybek

Kaybek -Mostly Retired -

Main IGN:
    Kaybek
    Alt IGN::
    Dranak
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Kaybek#1468
    I'd like to consolidate some guidelines for posting videos to the FTP site. Please feel free to add to this list and I'll update here accordingly:

Video Guidelines
    1. Videos should be compressed - not raw FRAPS data.
    2. Videos should be checked to make sure there's no inappropriate language as our public communications should always be professional.
    3. Please create a folder under the root folder with your character or forum name and put videos you've compiled there.
  2. Kaybek

Kaybek -Mostly Retired -

Main IGN:
    Kaybek
    Dranak
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Kaybek#1468
    What do you guys think of having an additional folder created for "In Production" videos and then "Released". Also, I'd like to make sure our final released versions include the Ascendancy introduction. Thoughts/Comments?
  3. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    this is a great step forward, and i think we are gonna have a lot of fun playing with videos.

i agree that any video published should have the logo before and after. it should also have a title.

the filing system can be anything you decide, david. we obviously need to keep it organized. it does seem that a folder for each user makes sense. also a "work in progress" folder may be needed. the size of the files is probably going to limit the amount of uploading/downloading we do simply because of the time it will take to move the files around.

not knowing much about the whole thing yet, i have been keeping the raw Fraps files as i figured they were very high quality, and if i ever wanted to go back and do more editing, then i should have the original files from which to work. not sure what additional infrastructure we need.

i think the collaboration portion of this will have to be done by one person, for the most part. my logic is that this is not a word doc that can be accessed quickly and easily. a 10 minute boss fight in 1080p is a couple gig in size. this is not something you can DL and UL quickly and easily. it will probably be easier for everyone to UL their raw files, have one person DL them and then cut together the video.

does that make sense?

oh... and of course, not every video needs to be a huge production. we won't ever try and limit what you post, unless it's deemed inappropriate for our family friendly image.
  4. Kaybek

Kaybek -Mostly Retired -

Main IGN:
    Kaybek
    Dranak
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Kaybek#1468
    I've set up WorkInProgress and Released folders. Additionally I created a StockVideo for us to publish the Intro video and other videos we may use as stock.

With respect to the size of videos, I'd highly recommend setting up some folders on your local hard drive and after recording something alt-tab out and move the RAW video into an appropriate folder for later compression. For example, I have a few Huttball matches and have them in a Huttball folder just waiting for me to compress them. We can still edit them once they're compressed without any video quality degradation and it will certainly free up massive amounts of HDD space if you keep your files compressed. FWIW, I'm well behind on this.

With the WorkInProgress folder we may be able to do a fair amount of collaboration but ultimately, yes, it will probably be one person doing the final cut. If we're working on a collective project for release we can simply post here that we're currently update project XYZ and then post again when a new version is out for others to pick up and work from.
    Totally agree - some may simply be a quick compression of RAW Fraps video with the intro and title added before. There will be other things that we want to capture from multiple viewers perspectives. An example might be in Warzone where we have four people recording. By default we can always have the camera on the ball carrier or whomever is making an awesome pull, clutch heal, important Stun/CC, etc. It'll also be great for cutting out the boring behind the respawn barrier portions. It's a great chance to really highlight the skills of our players.