Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV, and Film' started by Dane, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Alt IGN::
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    anyone out there watching Game of Thrones on HBO?

i am really enjoying it. i think they have done a great job keeping the tone of the books. the world is gritty, dirty, full of evil people and the good guys always dies in the end.

of all the fantasy novels out there, i think Song of Ice and Fire is probably the most complex and "realistic" i have ever read. i just love the fact that you never know who is gonna die next. keeps you on your toes. keeps you guessing.

i'm gonna have to go back and watch the first season again. it's been a year and some of the details are a bit fuzzy.

Tyrion is my favorite character (naturally) both in the TV show and the books. you never really know what he's thinking, and he's smart enough to realize that sometime brutality and war are not the best solution. i'm a bit a head in the books than the TV show.

I cannot wait to see what happens. book 2 is just totally brutal. book one was a total set up, and book 2 (season 2) was not a let down.

no spoilers please, but we can chat about episodes as they come out. things are about to get really interesting.
  2. Zeuriel

Zeuriel Council

Main IGN:
    Zeuriel
    WOMPUS
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Zeuriel#1263
    my GF is a true GoT fan girl. she has read the book n^n number of times. she wants me to watch them and read em to me but i have a little trouble getting into them
  3. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    they can be a bit slow to read, IMO, but the story is very much worth it. one big turn off people have to them is the vastness of the world. think a cross between LoTR and Dune. the world is that well imagined. i had a friend who put it down after one chapter, because Martin introduces like 20 characters in the first 10 pages. it really is quite insane how well imagined this world is.
  4. Zeuriel

Zeuriel Council

Main IGN:
    Zeuriel
    WOMPUS
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Zeuriel#1263
    i dont mind the mass of characters at all. i just havent liked book 2 book 1 was fun though
  5. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

I got hooked on the first season and then started all the books.. Im still working on DoD because AFFC was a killer. Im glad I got thru it, because the end was awesome but it just dragged and dragged. But D0D already started getting good now that Im seeing the "third head" arrival. Or what I think will be .. :)

I have the first episode season 2 on my DVR at home..so hopefully I can catch that before episode 2.

The unfolding of this season is going to be really awesome. The fight on the blackwater.. i think its going to be episode 9.. im drooling to see that.

Tyrion is by far the best character.. I learn to love Jaime tho. Those poor Lannister men.
  6. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    oh... the Blackwater will be most epic... but what i really want to see is the "RW". i won't say anything for spoilers sake, but if you have read the books, then you know what i'm talking about. it's gonna leave everyone total speechless.

mayhaps i'm stupid, but i don't understand your abbreviations... DoD & AFFC. what are those?

Jamie is very interesting. at this point he is still a bad guy, but by book four... oh. oops. said too much ;)
  7. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

I guess it should be DwD - dance with dragons. I always seem to say dance of dragons and AFFC is a feast for crows

Oh I'm so itching for the RW. Its going to be next season tho I think. Depends on how closely they follow the books.

Watching the hound this season will be good.

I keep wondering how close they will keep things. Season/book 3 is crazy and could be split into 2 season.

Ok. Pulling out the kindle now. Maybe I can finish dance with dragons before I get home :)
  8. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    okay... now i feel stupid.

but... AFAIK... the RW will be this season. i watched the GoT panel from ComicCon with GRR Martin (plus cast), and he specifically mentions how they are trying to stay as true to the events of the book as possible. he specifically mentions that the RW was very difficult to pull off. lends me to believe that it will happen this season. okay... correction... the RW doesn't take place until Storm of Swords (book 3). i get confused.

hrm... should go back and read book 2 so i can better keep up with what's going on.
  9. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

Yeah. The RW is the piviotal point for me. I looked it up a couple weeks ago to see what book it was. Because I so hoped it was this one.

Im pretty sure SoS has the most action. I think the RW and the other one. You know. The one Tyrion was at??? Is that right?
  10. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    oh yeah. the end of SoS is completely insane. didn't see it coming... still can't believe it happened. that's what i love about these books. you just never know what's gonna happen next.
  11. Foxy

Foxy Founder, Administrator Staff Member

Main IGN:
    Foxy
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Foxy#1732
    I haven't read the books on this series. Shame on me! I love storylines and plots like this, especially when someone has created such a vast world! It makes the imagination go wild, and makes putting the book down very hard to do!

I'll have to start watching this series from the beginning, though I'm afraid if I don't read the books now, I'll be missing something!
  12. Lrrr

Lrrr Member

Main IGN:
    Kabrari
    I saw the first season and loved it, took some convincing to get me to try the books and I have (another) new favorite.
    Great writing, great adaptation, NOT FOR KIDS, but then most fun stuff is that way.

I think Herbert and Tolkien are both GREAT for kids :-/

I'm def addicted to the books whether the plot is frustrating me or has me laughing whit awake at night. They are nice and thick but much faster paced than (either) Herbert, which I also like, but makes it hard to put down. I like how they are very REAL, even when there is "magic". More sci-fi-fantasy and less look-at-the-pretty-magic-fantasy.
  13. Braandr_Kyle

Braandr_Kyle Former Member

Main IGN:
    Braandr
    Kaesyl
    I'm still on ACoK at the moment. I love the HBO series. My dad loved it so much that he read all the books haha! I'm trying to finish the second book but all these other books keep getting in the way!
  14. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

The world is a total seller for me.
    The targaryens rule. And the dragons. All the detail. It's addictive.

I've heard there is only 2 more books planned. I think. Which seems like too little to tie up all the strings. There are soooo many strings. I'm hoping to get DwD done soon and maybe just maybe some will be cleared up by then but if it's like his other books, more get started.
  15. Braandr_Kyle

Main IGN:
    Braandr
    Kaesyl
    I've come to really like Jon Snow and definitely Tyrion Lannister
  16. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

If you Iike them now, you will love them in SoS.

I'm very interested to see what twist will come out with Jon. I know what I expect but how it comes out is a different story.
  17. Braandr_Kyle

Main IGN:
    Braandr
    Kaesyl
    Being the way I am, I read the wiki lol!
  18. Barbarella

Barbarella Guest

Oh I did too.. i couldnt hold out.. i had to know.

its better all detailed out tho.. soooo good
  19. Dane

Dane Former Member

Main IGN:
    Quarin
    Foeshizzle
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Dane#1465
    i have not read the wiki. please mark spoilers clearly.

i am halfway through book 4.
  20. Braandr_Kyle

Main IGN:
    Braandr
    Kaesyl
    Don't worry. I'm not in the business of spoiling stuff. Unless asked directly via message.