19 Deaths unimaginable!

Discussion in 'Public Discussions' started by Foxy, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Foxy

Foxy Founder, Administrator Staff Member

Main IGN:
    Foxy
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Foxy#1732
    I know it happened several days ago, but I had to let it sink in. It's not something that we in the Fire Service can easily talk about or explain to folks, but nonetheless, it's something we all know is a very real thing that can happen to any one of us that have this job.

19 Firefighters died in a devastating turn of events while fighting a fire in Arizona. They were an elite force called the Granite Mountain HotShots, comprised of 20 people, that was formed in 2002 and had a very good safety record. Only 1 of these men survived this fire. The other 19 perished doing something they loved to do.

Yarnell Fallen Firefighters

If you have the time, please click the above link and read the updates about this. The youngest of these men was 21, the oldest was 43. All were dedicated to doing the best they could to protect those that couldn't do it themselves. They were highly trained and very good at what they did, which only means that Mother Nature, despite our best efforts, can only be tamed when she wants to be. Lighting is suspected in starting this massive blaze, and an investigation is under way.

This is the worst loss of Firefighter lives since 9/11/01 when 343 Firefighters perished in the World Trade Centers. This is close the horrific loss of lives in Chicago almost 103 years ago (December 22, 1910), where 21 Chicago Firefighters died including Fire Marshal James Horan, along with 3 civilians.

I ask that you all take a short moment to pray for the families of these men.

May they rest in peace!

To all of my Fire Department Brothers and Sisters out there, please, stay safe and watch out for one another.
    Bushnikov likes this.
  2. Zeuriel

Zeuriel Council

Main IGN:
    Zeuriel
    Alt IGN::
    WOMPUS
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Zeuriel#1263
    My cousin is a Hotshot, although he is not in that area at the moment. He is hoping to one day become a smoke jumper like my uncle.

Needless to say the headline was freaky to read.
  3. Bushnikov

Bushnikov Benefactor, Guild Wars 2 Council Member

Main IGN:
    Bushnikov
    Alt IGN::
    Senzu
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Bushnikov#1977
    Much love and respect for them and all other service members...RIP-gone but not forgotten
  4. Hashimura

Hashimura Member

Main IGN:
    Hashimura
    This was a tragic event. The one gentleman that survived blamed himself, but all involved said there was nothing he could do. Sad situation all the way around this story. Devistating for everyone involved.
  5. Foxy

Foxy Founder, Administrator Staff Member

Main IGN:
    Foxy
    Battle.Net Tag:
    Foxy#1732

He gave them all warning as soon as he saw the change in wind direction, but it happened so damn fast that they didn't have a chance. He has survivor guilt, for which he should not be guilty at all. He did what he was supposed to, with the rest of his unit making the change he suggested. But the winds were too fast and strong and overtook them.

I only hope that time will help him heal with this and he returns to doing his job.

Very devastating indeed, including the one family that was denied the survivor benefits of his full salary for life because some politician suddenly called her husbands job "seasonal", thereby being able to deny the benefits she so truly deserved! I sure hope that she sues to gain what she deserves due to her husbands sacrifice! Firefighting, whether in the forest or in structures, is not a "seasonal" job. Those fires can and do happen at any time during the year.

That person that classified it as a seasonal job should have his salary cut as well, as politicians only work when it really benefits them in the long run.